Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 7, 2026

10+1 Commandments for Ethical Techies

I originally developed these “commandments” in 2017 for a keynote at the Nordic Testing Days conference, where I titled them “10 Commandments and a codicil for Ethical Testers”. As people shared them, it became apparent that they could be more broadly applied across the tech industry, hence the current title.

My principal source was the ACM Code of Ethics. As I said at the beginning of that keynote, I am neither a philosopher nor an ethicist. I am (or was at the time) a consultant and a practitioner, typically a program test manager, on software development projects. I wrote these as practical suggestions for coping as an ethical practitioner in a complex world where the straightforward practice of professional ethics has become increasingly challenging. That challenge has only increased since 2017.

If you’re interested in how I explained and expanded on each one and gave examples, you can see the keynote on the Nordic Testing Days YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQHt4Pao2Vs


No comments: